One of the best parts about winter is embracing the activities that are only around when there’s cold and snow. Getting outdoors is not only a great way to spend time with family and friends, but it also provides great opportunities to get active.
Lucky for us, our area offers a wide variety of different outdoor activities; no matter what you’re interested in you’re bound to find something you’ll love! Some of our favorites are:
- Toboggan. Pokagon State Park offers a refrigerated Toboggan Run. The ride features a 90 foot vertical drop, reaching up to 40 mph! It is open Fri. – Sun. only, hours vary. More info here.
- Sledding. Step one: wait for snow. Step two: locate a sled. Step three: find a hill. Step four: enjoy. Repeat!
- Ice Skating. Headwaters Park Ice Skating Rink is now open for the season! Kids age 13 and under skate FREE every Wednesday.
- Cross-country skiing. Try cross-country skiing at Metea County Park or Fox Island State Park anytime we get four or more inches of snow.
- Outdoor races. Just because it’s a little cold out and there’s some snow on the ground doesn’t mean there aren’t races still happening. Here’s what’s coming up:
- Gingerbread Pursuit 4 Miler. December 13, 2014
- December Dash 5K. December 20, 2014
- The Huff 50K. December 20, 2014