If you’ve ever needed a boost of positive energy, you’re not alone. Work, school, parties, and other obligations can all take their toll on our body and minds. We get stressed, we’re busy and have little or no time to relax. This is where meditation can come in handy.
Five minutes of meditation can change your outlook and your day. In just five minutes you can reduce your anxiety levels by 22%. In just five minutes you can focus on what is happening in the present and forget about what has happened in the past or what will happen in the future. In just five minutes you can calm your screaming mind. Here’s how:
- Before you start, find a dim, quite space. Turn your cell phone off and set a timer for five minutes. Lets begin.
- Minute 1. Practice breathing deep. Sit on the floor or in a chair and close your eyes. Start taking deep breaths in, to the count of four. Then, breathe the air out, to the count of six. Repeat.
- Minute 2. As you get used to deep breathing, stop counting your breaths and find your natural pace. Focus on the rise and fall of air entering and exiting your abdomen. Let your body and mind relax.
- Minute 3. Keep focused. Like anyone beginning meditation, it is easy to let random thoughts enter your mind. When this happens, imagine that each thought is a floating cloud and slowly imagine it is floating away. When the cloud is gone, begin your meditation again.
- Minute 4. Keep relaxed. You’re on your fourth minute and you’re almost done. Stay focused, keep your natural deep breathing pace and keep your mind relaxed.
- Minute 5. You’ve almost completed your five minutes of meditation! Keep focused and relaxed the entire last minute. When you feel the urge to check the clock or start thinking about all of the things you have to do next, remember the cloud technique.
When you’re done with your five minutes of meditation take a second to reflect on your mood now. Do you feel lighter, less stressed and more prepared to take on your day? We hope so! Try incorporating five minutes of meditation into your life every day and use #parkviewGO to tell us about it!